Wednesday, January 7, 2009

shake, rattle, and bowl.

So, here in Russel Square just north of central London I have experienced many an amazing thing. One of which is Shake, Rattle, and Bowl at Bloomsburg Alley, an underground bowling alley. A bowling alley that, twice a month (the 1st and 3rd Saturdays) transforms itself under the guise of a 1960s underground dance club. IT WAS BRILLIANT. If only I had known, I would've gone all out. The music was typical of the 50s and 60s eras; everyone was dressed to the nines. We're talking about wingtip shoes, skinny ties, lasses with cat-eye makeup and the epitome of Audrey Hepburn. Man, I missed my opportunity. There I was, standing clad in Ugg boots, a ski jacket, scarf, and oversized sweater looking more like I popped out of an early Friends episode than my typical Audrey-esque attire. Believe you me, the 3rd Saturday which is fittingly my last full weekend here in the UK I am going all out. I think that today was our last "offical tourist" day; we celebrated a friend's birthday atop the London Eye (which I highly recommend, even if you aren't a fan of heights). All thats left is a trip to Arsenal Stadium and a visit to the National Potrait Gallery where Annie Leibovitz's exhibit "A Photographer's Life: 1965-2005" is showing; an exhibit that I missed in Washington, D.C.

No comments: